How do I ship my bike correctly?
Congratulations! You have successfully sold your old bike on buycycle sell your old bike! Whether Road, gravelor mountain bikeWith us you don't have to worry about anything, we save you the trouble of looking for the right box, packaging material, carrier etc.! You can find the general shipping guide in this blog post, but even if you have to send your bike by post for other reasons, we have prepared further information for you in the appendix. You can find out how to pack your road or gravel bike with our specially designed buycycle box in this separate packing guide.
1. bike packing
Into the box: Once your bike has been sold, all you have to do is take care of the safe packaging. We at buycycle will send you all the materials you need and have compiled a guide put together for you. So your bike is safe and protected on its way to its new home!
2. determine collection date
To you or... to you? At buycycle the buyer decides whether they want to pick up the bike themselves or have it delivered by mail. If shipping is desired, we will arrange a pickup by our partner shipping company. They will then collect the packed bike from you in the three-hour time window you have chosen - you don't even have to print a shipping bill.
So whether the carrier we organize or the new owner:in of your bike ring your doorbell - all you have to do is open the door!
3. have bike picked up by our logistics partner
Once the buyer has decided on a delivery, we use the carrier we trust. This guarantees reliable collections, short delivery times, safe transport and real-time tracking. However, if something should go wrong during shipping, buycycle will take care of all your Troubleshooting.
You still have questions about the bike shipping? Then take a look at the detailed information in the appendix or feel free to contact our buycycle team. We wish you good luck with your bike purchase and as always: Happy browsing, happy cycling!
How to ship a bike | buycycle
You have your old Road bike, gravel bike, MTB etc. sold? Then all that remains is to ship the bike. However, there are a few obstacles to overcome: The bike has to be partially dismantled and packed in such a way that no part is damaged. Once this is done, the search begins for a transport company that will deliver your bike reliably and safely to its destination in the shortest possible time. But where can you find a suitable box? Which is the right transport company? Will your bike be collected from your home or do you have to deliver it to the collection point yourself for bike shipping? How much does shipping cost and how are the costs broken down?
In this article we will answer all your questions about bicycle shipping. And we'll show you why you can save yourself a lot of hassle if you sell your bike with buycycle .
How do I ship my bike?
In Germany or in Europe, a bicycle can be shipped without any problems. However, you usually have to take care of the packaging, the right service provider and a smooth process yourself. The following steps must be taken into account:
1. choose service provider
Bicycles are anything but convenient to ship and fall under bulky goods for many parcel services and transport companies. In this case, the belt dimension must be taken into account, because many transport companies use the belt dimension to judge whether the bike is still a permissible size for transport or not. Therefore, you should find out in advance which regulations exist for permissible sizes with different providers before you buy the packaging. Basically, you have the choice between well-known parcel services such as DHL, Hermes and Co. or freight forwarders. There are differences not only in the permissible dimensions, but also in the price. You can find a detailed overview of possible transport companies here.
2. get packing
When shipping your bike, you also have to take care of the right packaging. You have several options:
- With providers such as Paket AG, packaging can be ordered online to the home. Large platforms like Amazon also offer bicycle packaging. Cardboard boxes for bicycle shipping cost at least 25€ on Amazon. The additional costs for the packaging should be considered in addition to the shipping costs. You should also take the delivery time for the cardboard box into account when you tell the buyer when they can expect the bike to be delivered.
- Before you spend money on new cardboard boxes, you can alternatively ask in a bike store for old, remaining cardboard boxes. After all, asking costs nothing and if you're lucky, neither do the cardboard boxes.
Buying packages in the post office, on the other hand, is not an option, as the special dimensions for a bicycle shipment are not offered. Theoretically, it is also possible to ship a bicycle with Deutsche Bahn via the luggage service. However, this is not recommended because the luggage service is only for travel and not for the exchange of goods, so that trouble can quickly arise.
Important: Whether with special providers for packages or Amazon: Usually only the packages themselves are offered. However, in order to stabilize the bike in the box and protect the high-quality components, the frame and the wheels, you need additional materials such as bubble wrap or foam around the bike frame, regardless of the transport company. You can get such materials at hardware stores, for example. You can also order them online. For a better hold, you can fix bubble wrap or foam with cable ties.
3. bike packing
The cardboard box is purchased, now it's time to pack it. How you have to proceed always depends on the size of the bike. We give you a brief overview of the correct procedure:
- E-bikes, cargo bikes and particularly large bikes in general sometimes have to be completely disassembled. This means removing the rear and front wheels, dismounting the rear derailleur, removing the handlebars and, in the case of an e-bike, possibly also removing the battery.
- For "normal" bikes, i.e. racing bikes, mountain bikes, city bikes, etc., it is usually sufficient to remove the front wheel and fold down the handlebars or, if necessary, remove them.
- Regardless of whether it's a large e-bike or a normal bike, the following applies to all bikes: You should always dismantle small parts such as pedals, bike baskets and bike computers and pack them separately and securely. Use protective materials such as bubble wrap, foam or separate small cardboard boxes to ensure that the high-quality components are not damaged during transport.
Need more info? You can find a detailed description of how to pack a bike in our blog article.
4. bring the bicycle to the forwarding agency or logistics service provider or have it picked up.
Your bike is professionally disassembled and safely packed? Then it can now be shipped! In the past, most logistics service providers picked up bikes at home and brought them to the new owner. Unfortunately, those days are over: Today, DHL, UPS, Hermes and Co. no longer pick up the bikes, so you have to bring them to the drop-off station yourself. Of course, this usually involves a certain amount of effort due to the size and weight of the package; after all, it can be a challenge to transport a bike in a normal car. So you can't rely on logistics service providers to conveniently pick up your bike from your home. In fact, however, some freight forwarders still offer home pickup of bicycles. Due to the large number of forwarding companies, however, you have to check the respective pick-up times. So: Does the forwarding agency come at a clearly defined time or generously estimated "between 8 and 18 o'clock"? Depending on the information of the forwarding agency, you are quite inflexible, because you have to be there when your packed bike is picked up. It is also important to assess the quality of the respective shipping company: How are the delivery times, what do the customer experiences say, how does the forwarder handle the bikes? After all, when you give your bike to someone else, you want to make sure that it arrives at the new owner in the same condition as you packed it. So before you hand over your bike to the next best shipping company, take the time to research a really good service provider, especially in terms of bicycle shipping, or to benefit from the experience of the buycycle team.
Bicycle shipping with DHL, UPS, Hermes and Co. - Which provider is the right one?
You want to ship your bike with one of the big logistics service providers? For private customers, however, it is relatively difficult to send bicycles via Germany's largest shipping and transport companies such as DHL, Hermes, Cargo International and UPS, because, as already explained, they do not offer pickup from home. Therefore, you have to deliver your bike directly to an acceptance point of the respective transport company, which proves to be complicated due to the bulkiness of the cardboard packaging. If you want to send an e-bike , there is also the problem of the heavy weight of the bike. So, transporting the bike to the parcel service is usually quite costly. Even if the large transport companies would be your first choice for other goods shipments, they are less suitable for an uncomplicated bicycle shipment.
But rather a freight forwarder?
You don't want the hassle of taking your bike to a pick-up station? In addition to the large transport companies, you can also choose a shipping company, such as GO or Emons, which will pick up the bikes directly from your home. Here, however, there are, as already described, great differences in terms of the quality of delivery. That is, how long a delivery takes, how reliable the pickup and delivery is and how well deadlines are met. It is also important to know how susceptible to damage the bike and bike frame is, because not every employee of a shipping company handles packages as carefully as you would like as a sender or recipient. We at buycycle have also noticed that there are big differences between the various forwarding companies. We have had good experiences with GO, for example.
How much does the bike shipping cost?
The costs for bicycle shipping vary and can usually not be given as a flat rate. However, some providers have a shipping calculator with which you can calculate your individual shipping costs. There are some important factors that influence the price:
- Insurance value: Although shipping is always cheaper without insurance, it is not recommended to send your bike uninsured. If something goes wrong, for example if the bike does not arrive at its destination or is damaged, you as the shipper will be liable for the costs. You should therefore not save money in the wrong place and take out insurance. As a general rule, the higher the value of the insured item, the higher the associated costs. With expensive racing bikes or e-bikes, this can lead to a large block of costs. Most transport companies offer different insurance classes for bike shipping depending on the value of the bike, so you can estimate in advance what shipping your bike will cost you in terms of insurance.
- Collection: If the service provider offers collection, you can sometimes choose whether to bring the bike to the collection station or have it collected directly from your front door. Home collection usually costs extra, but saves you a lot of work.
- Package size: Of course, a bicycle box is always bulky. Nevertheless, there may be differences in the belt size, whereby additional surcharges may be added for particularly large cardboard boxes, for example for an e-bike. This depends on the requirements of the respective transport company.
- Weight of the parcel: Similar to the size applies to the weight of the package. It is very likely that shipping a heavy e-bike will cost more than a lightweight carbon road bike.
- Delivery time: As with other parcels, you should allow a few days for bike delivery. Overnight deliveries are sometimes possible, but usually cost extra, similar to Amazon Next Day Deliveries.
- National or international shipping: Bicycle shipping within a country is of course cheaper than shipping across national borders. Some providers even only offer national shipping. However, this should not be too much of an obstacle, as you are sure to easily find a buyer for your bike within your own country.
So there are many factors that come into play when it comes to the cost of shipping a bike. This makes it difficult to name a flat price. Nevertheless, we can give you a small indication: Basically, you'll pay between €70 and €120 for fully insured shipping within Germany with pickup - exceptions prove the rule. Bicycle shipping is therefore quite an expensive undertaking and it is only understandable that you want as smooth a process as possible for your money. No matter how much you search for a good shipping company, no one can give you a guarantee for safe shipping, except for customer reviews, and the rather high costs remain in any case.
To make things easier for you in terms of costs, organization and security, buycycle offers you a simple and secure solution for all these inconveniences!
Shipping your bike safely and conveniently? Quite simply with buycycle
At buycycle , the buyer can decide whether he or she wants to pick up the bike himself or herself or choose a bike shipping service. As a seller, you are thus relieved of an important decision, including considerations and research. In addition, you don't have to go to the trouble of comparing different providers: At buycycle , you ship your bike with a shipping company that we cooperate with. That is, with a shipping company that we trust and from which we know that your bike is in good hands during shipping. And it's even easier: There are no additional costs or surcharges, because the bike sale at buycycle is always free of charge - the shipping costs are paid by the buyer (if no pickup is chosen).
We at buycycle take almost everything off your hands. We send you the packaging material, i.e. cardboard boxes, as well as additional materials for the protection of small parts, various components, wheels, etc. to your home. So you also save the money for ordering a cardboard box. To avoid damage, the cardboard box we send you is perfectly tailored to bikes and e-bikes. To protect the environment, we use as little plastic as possible. We do not use foam and only use bubble wrap, which offers your bike just as much protection. Of course, a transport insurance gives you the additional security that the shipment will go smoothly. All you have to do is pack your bike professionally - of course, we will provide you with instructions. Our partner forwarding agency will then come to your home at your desired time with a time window of three hours and pick up the packed bike . You do not have to fill out a shipping note. You do not have to print out a shipping bill yourself. With our partner shipping company, we guarantee short delivery times for bicycle shipping: It takes on average only one business day for your bicycle to arrive at the recipient's destination. So the buyer doesn't have to wait long for riding pleasure with the new "old" piece of jewelry. If you are impatient, you and the buyer can use the shipment tracking function to find out where the bicycle box with the bike is at any time. As you have seen, shipping bicycles is a time-consuming and sometimes quite expensive undertaking. With buycycle you save time and money and you can be sure that your bike will arrive at the buyer in the same condition as you packed it. And if something does go wrong, buycycle will take care of clarification and replacement by the shipping company.
Want to make someone else happy with your "old" bike? The team at buycycle is always on hand to answer any questions you may have about selling bikes and make the bike shipping process as uncomplicated and convenient as possible.